Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13, 2012--Leaving Guangzhou/Hong Kong

We woke to a gray rainy day.  We headed down to our last breakfast at The Garden.  We had the unusual experience of watching soldiers in riot gear walk the perimeter of the hotel while we ate.  Apparently there's a Japanese consulate in the hotel tower and with the political unrest between Japan and China there were some protestors outside.

(Update--the hotel has been turned into a police command center and they occupy 3 floors of the hotel.  Protestors stormed the hotel and rumor has it some of the lobby has been destroyed.  September 18th hold historical significance for China/Japan relations.  In 1932, Japan staged the Mukden Incident as a pretext to invade Manchuria and the rest of China.  This date recognizes that humiliation.  This year, there is also dissent over the island of Diaoyu/Senkaku.  Apparently a private citizen has sold this island, that China has historical claim to, to Japan without authority and now both countries claim sovereignty. Please pray for the safety of all involved, especially our friends who are still there adopting 2 sons and other adoptive families.)  

After breakfast, we loaded up and headed downstairs to check out.  We took the hotel shuttle to the train station.  What an awesome ride!  I highly recommend it!  It was actually peaceful.  The car was only about half full, we had 2 tables.  The kids got to color and play Uno while we passed through some beautiful areas of China.  

We checked into our new digs, the Holiday Inn Express Causeway Bay.  Definitely NOT the Garden........  but it'll serve it's purpose.  We headed out to Victoria Peak. What an amazing view!


Awww, sisters...

I guess if you can't have a direct view of the hills, a reflection is the next best thing!


















My girl...she was a trooper the whole trip, absolutely amazing traveler!

Beer at BK?

The Sky Terrace 428, standing at 428 metres above sea level, is the highest viewing platform in Hong Kong offering a stunning 360-degree panoramic view across the Hong Kong.

How do you go from this...

to this...

to this...

to this...

to a full meltdown in one minute?  I brought 4 ring pops with us.  Up on the deck, she started complaining she was hungry (again), so I busted out her ring pop which she thoroughly enjoyed.  After dinner, we were waiting on the tram back down.  Shaoey and Grace and Jacob wanted theirs.  She pitched a fit because she had already had hers and wanted another.  I just didn't bring extras.  Sooo, adoption friends, how would you have handled that?  I did my best to explain to her that when she had hers they didn't have theirs.  I ended up letting her fuss and hold Connor's hand, because she didn't want to hold mine.  I didn't think it was right to deny the other children theirs because she was pitching a fit (or fitching a pit as Shaoey says!).  
Here's some video of our train ride and our adventure up Victoria Peak.









No comments:

Post a Comment